Part 10: The will to affirm the sovereignty of Vietnam
The evidences introduced by Vietnam show that activities carried out by the Nguyễn Lords and Kings in Hoàng Sa (Paracels) and Trường Sa (Spratlys) mostly focus on the five following areas:
1. Systematic exploitation of the islands.
2. Organization of measurements and surveys for better understanding of the territories and also for the inspection and control of the sea.
3. Building pagodas, temples, trees as symbols of sovereignty of Annam over the islands.
4. Organization of tax collection on the spot.
5. Rescue of foreign vessels in distress.
Concerning the organization of the Hoàng Sa and Bắc Hải detachments for the exploitation of marine resources and goods in the sea, Phủ biên tạp lục (Miscellany on the Pacification at the Frontier) written in 1776, reads:
The Nguyễns used to form Hoàng Sa detachment made up of An Vĩnh villagers and…
View original post 894 more words